The playroom is one of my favorite rooms in the house. I love the glittering sunlight that tumbles through the eleven aged glass windows. I love the constantly changing shadows created by the dancing leaves and swaying trees. I love the warm wood floors that welcome each step with a soft and comforting creak. I love that after our work, the room now looks more like the original sleeping porch of 100 years ago than it has for many years. Let’s take a look back at the transformation thus far.
Below: Upon purchase. The original sleeping porch had been transformed into a bedroom. Changes made prior to our purchase included a vaulted ceiling, windows covered with drywall, and carpet over the hardwood floor.
Below: The first thing we did was remove the carpet and then immediately cover up the wooden floor for protection. We also danced around a bit.
Below: The second thing we did was remove the interior drywall to reveal the hidden windows. We actually did not even know if the windows were still there or in what condition. What a delightful day that was! Here you can see the drywall removed and glorious windows below! The shutters had not yet been removed.
Below: Happy helper!
Below: Same day, looking out the windows to the backyard.
Below: Looking out the front windows.
Below: Next we dropped the raised ceiling back down to the original height. Not only did this make the room feel more appropriate, it also enabled enhanced air duct ventilation, extra insulation in the attic, and added ceiling lighting.
Below: Looking up from the playroom floor, up through the new playroom ceiling beams, up towards the 100 year old darkened attic ceiling vaulting strongly up above the house.
Below: We then removed the exterior shutters, began the arduous rewiring process, and insulated the ceiling. We also began the rather long process of refinishing the original windows. See this previous post for further details. Windows.
Below: Windows all refinished and back in place. We then put the new drywall up on the ceiling and patched the plaster on the walls.
Below: Full wall window seat and open storage shelves installed. Also, baseboards reinstalled after the old wiring was removed. Crown molding was left in place the entire time.
Below: Windows protected and priming underway.
Below: After priming, the bumps and bruises around the windows are smoothed out with a red putty fill mixture that will disappear underneath the final coat of paint.
Below: Looking down the hallway towards the playroom. I cannot wait to hear delightfully happy laughter echoing down this hallway.
Below: Exterior upon purchase. Here you can see the shutters which concealed the original windows. Lucky for us the original windows were never removed, just sandwiched between interior drywall and exterior shutters, perfectly protected and preserved.
Below: Exterior windows fully exposed and new exterior painting complete.
Happy playing and Happy Halloween!
Love and hugs,